Executive Directors Leadership Institute
The Wells Fargo Executive Directors Leadership Institute (EDLI) is a 12-month leadership coaching program designed to help both new and experienced Executive Directors transform their leadership, strengthen their network and guide their organizations toward long-term sustainability.
This program provides dedicated one-on-one coaching, peer learning and comprehensive training, which helps nonprofit leaders turn their visions into reality. It is the only program designed exclusively for nonprofit Executive Directors in our region that combines long-term coaching and training.
The program begins January 2020!
What You’ll Get
- One-on-one coaching with a highly-trained, executive-level consultant who will serve as your leadership coach for 10 months
- Interactive peer learning and networking opportunities with a cohort of fellow Executive Directors
- 40+ hours of professional development/training sessions over a 10-month period that will consist of expert instruction and comprehensive training topics to help you lead your nonprofit.
What You’ll Learn
EDLI will give you practical tools and strategies to build critical leadership skills and transform the effectiveness and impact of your organization.
Topics for EDLI 2023 include:
- Shaping and sustaining your organization’s culture
- Managing your board strategically
- Shifting the politics of your nonprofit
- Leading fiscal accountability and responsibility
- Building a stronger development team comprised of both your board and staff
- Deepening your organization’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Developing your staff
- Planning for organizational succession and leadership continuity
- Leveraging your emotional intelligence to lead strategically
- Implementing Executive Director performance evaluation
- Additional discussion topics may be customized based on the input of the cohort and based on its evolving needs over the course of the year.
What sets EDLI apart?
- Coaching: You will be matched with one of our consultants who will serve as your leadership coach for 10 months. As your thought partner and coach, your consultant will listen to your specific organizational needs, help you identify opportunities and solutions, and support you as you complete the program. Past participants who have taken advantage of more than 40 hours (approximately 2 sessions per month) of coaching throughout the year often report the biggest transformation in their leadership approach.
- Peer Learning: You will join a cohort of fellow nonprofit leaders to build a supportive and confidential forum in which to share knowledge and personal experience, develop peer coaching skills and explore new strategies for dealing with challenging situations. Together, you will learn how to leverage your emotional intelligence to lead your organization and staff to better fulfill your mission. Intentional social pods are created for you to build closer connections to colleagues.
- Class Training: You will explore comprehensive leadership topics and strengthen your nonprofit management skills through a series of workshops that will cover the topics listed above. Through presentations, facilitated discussions, and interactive exercises with real world applications, instructors with subject matter expertise and nonprofit experience will help create a dynamic learning environment for you and your cohort. These lectures will be led by a group of instructors from diverse backgrounds and expert knowledge about nonprofit management.
Meet Your EDLI Lead Instructor
Non-profit management expert Janet Schulman will lead you through the curriculum. Janet is a recognized leader in the nonprofit sector with more than 30 years of experience in executive positions. She served as the Founding Executive Director of Big Sisters of Los Angeles and as the CEO of Special Olympics Southern California. She holds a MSW from Boston University and a MPA from University of California, Los Angeles.
Special rate thanks to our generous program sponsors.
Fees will be due after acceptance into the program.
- Early bird fee $1,800/participant
- General deadline fee $1,950/participant
The full program value of $5,750 has been partially underwritten by our generous sponsors.
Apply now through our online form below or contact staff with any questions:
- Meghan Maloney, Associate Director of Volunteers and Cohort Programs, at [email protected] or (213) 613-9103 x119
Program Starts February 2023
Upon receipt of application, you will be contacted to schedule a virtual interview.
If public health guidelines permit in-person gatherings in 2023, we may shift to an in-person format or a hybrid of both in-person and virtual. Virtual sessions will be about 4 hours in duration and will take place between 9:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. on Zoom; in person will include a breakfast and lunch, and will end at 3:00 p.m. Any in-person sessions that may occur will be held at The California Endowment building in downtown Los Angeles.
- Wednesday, February 8, 2023
- Wednesday, March 15, 2023
- Wednesday, April 19, 2023
- Wednesday, May 10, 2023
- Wednesday, June 14, 2023
- Wednesday, July 12, 2023
- Wednesday, September 13, 2023
- Wednesday, October 11, 2023
- Wednesday, November 8, 2023
Questions? Want to Know More?
For more information, please contact Meghan Maloney, Associate Director of Volunteers and Cohort Programs, at [email protected]
Recent EDLI Cohorts
- Arlington Garden in Pasadena
- Art Share Los Angeles
- Connections for Children
- Coro Southern California
- Extraordinary Families
- InsideOUT Writers
- Los Angeles Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce
- South Central LAMP
- Union Station Homeless Services
- Urban Community Outreach
- West Hollywood Community Housing Corp
- Youth Business Alliance
- YWCA San Gabriel Valley
- The Achievable Foundation
- The Arc Los Angeles & Orange Counties
- Camp Ronald McDonald for Good Times
- CASA of Los Angeles
- Centinela Youth Services, Inc.
- Chai Village LA
- GrowGood Farm
- Harbor Community Clinic
- Partners for Pediatric Vision
- Rainbow Services
- SPIRITT Family Services
- Su Casa – Ending Domestic Violence
- Synergy Academies
- Urban Peace Institute
- Viver Brasil Dance Company
- A Window Between Worlds
- Community Corporation of Santa Monica
- Family Promise of the Verdugos
- Grandparents as Parents
- Instituto de Educación Popular del Sur de California (IDEPSCA)
- Invertigo Dance Theatre
- The Jeffrey Foundation
- Jewish World Watch
- Los Angeles Latino Chamber of Commerce
- Network for Teaching Entrepreneurship (NFTE) Greater LA
- Odyssey Charter School
- Partnership Scholars Program
- PLUS ME Project
- The Promises Foundation
- St. Baldrick’s Foundation
- Taking the Reins
- Coro Southern California
- The Guidance Center
- Launch Productions Inc.
- Los Angeles Conservation Corps
- Los Angeles Food Policy Council
- Matrix Institute on Addictions
- NewGround: A Muslim-Jewish Partnership for Change
- North Valley Caring Services
- PATH Ventures
- Reading Opens Minds
- Student Debt Crisis
- Sustainable Works
- Youth Speak Collective
What do our EDLI graduates say?
“Through EDLI, I was able to save my career! I refocused on what was important and have regained my passion and energy as a leader. Now, I am confident in guiding Achievable towards a new era of innovation.”
“I was able to navigate my first year as ED with ease and grace largely thanks to EDLI and my coach!”
Want more EDLI testimonials?
Hear firsthand from EDLI participant Anne Miskey, Chief Executive Officer of Union Station Homeless Services!